Monday, November 16, 2009
so the first issue of CASPER and the SPECTRALS came out a week or so ago and it's been garnering a whole bunch of really nice reviews! so that's good.
i enjoyed myself writing it--off of marc dematteis and brendan deneen's framework--but, in the process, though up a couple "further adventures" that i'd really love to have the chance to explore on my own, so hopefully it'll be a big enough hit for ardden to want to do more.
that said, the real reason i'm posting these three preview pages (below) is to spotlight the wonderful artwork! pedro delgado did a fantastic job of polishing up casper and the rest of his ghostly family --spooky and the ghostly trio-- for this 60th anniversary relaunch and succeeded in redesigning wendy and hot stuff to make them relevant for 2009! yeah, i was one of those die-hard traditionalists who said, "what?! you're gonna change them?!" but i gotta say--i really think they turned out well. the little 'attitude' we gave wendy and the new clothes certainly make her a more believable tween--i LIKE the new wendy and i love the relationship between her and casper. as for hot stuff, well, c'mon...the guy was running around in a diaper.
so here area couple pages for those of you who haven't picked the book up yet (i just got a copy yesterday...). there are no spoilers, so have fun!
if you've been on the internet for more than, let's say, ten minutes, then you have no doubt received an email version of this or something like it in your short career. there are probably about two hundred of these "perennial emails" that are constantly circling the web and each will show up in your inbox usually once or twice a year. some of them are quick deletes as you mumble, "saw it." some, like this one below for me, are worth the second and sometimes third read. maybe i like this one more 'cause i'm a dog person and i've heard my dog, jake, make a few of these comments. maybe these are ones you've seen and you've had enough. if so, skip right past--it's all good. there are answers to the "five for friday!" farther down...
Dog's Prayers to God
Dear God: Is it on purpose our names are the same, only reverse?
Dear God: Why do humans smell the flowers, but seldom, if ever, smell one another?
Dear God: When we get to heaven, can we sit on your couch? Or is it still the same old story?
Dear God: Why are there cars named after the jaguar, the cougar, the mustang, the colt, the stingray, and the rabbit, but not ONE named for a Dog? How often do you see a cougar riding around? We do love a nice ride! Would it be so hard to rename the 'Chrysler Eagle' the 'Chrysler Beagle'?
Dear God: If a Dog barks his head off in the forest and no human hears him, is he still a bad Dog?
Dear God: We Dogs can understand human verbal instructions, hand signals, whistles, horns, clickers, beepers, scent ID's, electromagnetic energy fields, and Frisbee flight paths. What do humans understand?
Dear God: More meatballs, less spaghetti, please.
Dear God: Are there mailmen in Heaven? If there are, will I have to apologize?
Dear God: Let me give you a list of just some of the things I must remember to be a good Dog.
1. I will not eat the cats' food before they eat it or after they throw it up.
2. I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, etc., just because I like the way they smell.
3. The Litter Box is not a cookie jar.
4. The sofa is not a 'face towel'.
5. The garbage collector is not stealing our stuff.
6. I will not play tug-of-war with Dad's underwear when he's on the toilet.
7. Sticking my nose into someone's crotch is an unacceptable way of saying 'hello'.
8. I don't need to suddenly stand straight up when I'm under the coffee table .
9. I must shake the rainwater out of my fur before entering the house - not after.
10. I will not come in from outside and immediately drag my butt.
11. I will not sit in the middle of the living room and lick my crotch.
12. The cat is not a 'squeaky toy' so when I play with him and he makes that noise, it's usually not a good thing.
here are the
answers to the
"five for friday!"
1. the corova milk bar is the favorite droogie hang-out in what eye-opening anthony burgess novel?
a clockwork orange
2. knocking back the nazi propaganda machine, what boxer beat max shmeling at yankee stadium in 1938?
3. about 2 hours from seattle by snowmobile, what canadian city will host the 2010 winter olympics?
4. meaning "sun in the middle", what theory got galileo thrown in jail for heresy in 1633?
5. what renowned recliner was originally going to be saddled with monikers like "the slack-back" or "the sit'n'snooze"?